Besides being one of my all time favorite 80’s hits, I am a really huge fan of getting a good nights sleep. Sometimes though in my busy life, I have more than a small problem getting my brain to shut down.
Thankfully I have about 80 different essential oils to play with to create the perfect blend to calm me down. Don’t let that scare you, you don’t need 80 oils to make the perfect sleep blend. In fact you only need 1-3 of your favorite oils, or if you are short on time and not big into the DIY thing you can grab a Sweet Dreams Spray, Sweet Dreams Essential Oil Blend or Sweet Dreams Babassu Lotion in our online store!
Here is a list of my top 4 oils to calm the mind and promote sleep:
- Bergamot: This is by far my most favorite oil and our best seller. It has a fruity aroma with warm earthy undertones. It helps to calm and ease the mind, which makes it a favorite for aromatherapists in treating depression. It helps you to feel at ease in the mind, therefore allowing you to relax and enjoy a good nights sleep.
- Neroli: I am usually not one for the floral scents but there is something so beautiful and pure about this oil that it is hard for anyone not to love it. Its a favorite in our skin care but its calming scent is incredible to help promote sleep. We have read in some articles that it is even better at helping promote sleep than lavender and should not be worn or used in high concentration while driving.
- Sandalwood: If you know me you know I am usually wearing stacks of Sandalwood bracelets and Mala’s from our beautiful friend at Tassels’n’Dreams, but its not just a fashion statement. I love how calming the scent of this native Indian wood is! According to an article by VeryWell.com sandalwood is thought to send messages to the limbic system of the brain which controls emotions and the nervous system. This in turn, promotes a calm and cool demeanor which is what you want when trying to catch some Z’s.
- Frankincense: Also known as the king of oils, this is commonly used to help promote sleep by reducing stress and calming the nerves. We have had reports from customers who like to diffuse this oil for hormonal teens in the home to help promote peace and calm.
Want to make your own amazing sleep spray in a 4 ounce bottle blend:
- 30 drops Bergamot
- 15 drops Neroli (dilution is great and more affordable)
- 15 drops Sandalwood
- 20 drops Frankincense
- 1 ounce witch hazel
- 2.5 ounces distilled water
Or you can try the same amount of essential oils mixed with almond oil, or grapeseed oil for a relaxing bedtime body moisturizer, or massage oil.
As the song says, Sweet dreams are made of these.. and who am I to disagree!