Holidays are busy… And I feel like that’s an understatement. As much as it is a great time of year, it can also be super stressful to get presents bought, cards mailed, decorations up, holiday concerts attended and plans made all while still working! So, since you likely won’t be able to make it to your regular yoga class, here are some oils that may be beneficial to help you deal with holiday craziness.
- Bergamot: This oil is from the citrus family and has many uplifting properties. It has been shown to help with symptoms of SAD making it a perfect oil for the winter months. We love recommending it as most people love the smell of bergamot. It diffuses really well on it’s own and is a great compliment to many other oils including pink grapefruit and vetiver.
- Vetiver: This oil is gaining a lot of popularity over the last year. It’s being studied for it’s ability to calm anxiety and symptoms related to ADHD. The results have been very promising and many people will attest to the benefit they have personally seen using vetiver. It has a very deep root scent and is often used in small amounts in combination with other oils. It blends well with Patchouli, Lavender, Lemongrass and Chamomile.
- Roman Chamomile: Chamomile tea is known by many to help with relaxation. Chamomile essential oil is no different and is often used by aromatherapists to help soothe nerves, quell irritability and even to treat PTSD. It has also been shown to be effective with children’s tantrums and colic. It’s a sweet smell oil that is shares qualities of chamomile tea. It blends well with bergamot, neroli, patchouli and lavender.
- Lavender: This is probably one of the most popular essential oils. It is well know for helping with sleep. This is because of lavender’s highly relaxing qualities. Because of it’s ability to relax the body, lavender has been used to help with symptoms of restlessness, anxiety and general stress. There are many different varieties of lavender that have varying balances of therapeutic qualities. We currently stock a lavender from France that is very balanced in the main two properties responsible for calming and relaxation. Lavender blends well with many of the other oils listed for stress as well as palmarosa, rosemary and ylang ylang.
- Patchouli: This oil is a very grounding oil and has a pleasant earthy scent. It’s great at offering support to the immune system making it one of my favorite oils to use over the fall and winter months for stress relief, as you get the benefit of stress reduction along with it’s ability to help the body ward off colds and flus. For many people, including old hippies, “patch oil” is their number one go to oil for tension relief, calming and relaxation. Patchouli blends well with bergamot, orange, sandalwood and lavender.
If you like to play around with oils, I’d highly suggest adding these 5 into your collection. They are great on their own but can also be made into some great DIY blends. I love to wear my oils on my lava bead bracelets. Just be cautious putting citrus oils on the beads as citrus oils can be photosensitive. In the winter months, this is usually not problem but in the summer months it is something that you should keep in mind.
If you’re the type that likes ready to go oils for the diffuser, try one of our blends that we love to recommend for general stress relief. Root Chakra– this blend uses Vetiver in it to help to ground the body and decrease stress. It is pretty deep in scent and appeals mostly to those who like an earthy smell. Happy- a blend of grapefruit and bergamot, this blend is peppy and sure to improve your mood. Hippie– lavender, patchouli and rosemary balance each other out perfectly in this blend. It is one of our best seller and one of our personal favorites. Unwind – bergamot and lime uplift the spirits while ho wood and patchouli help to ground and calm the body. This is a great oil for those that want to relax yet remain productive.
Get your emergency oil kit ready for your Christmas stress and hopefully you’ll be able to keep yourself in check and relaxed as your finish up your last minute lists!
Jay & Rae